Friday, October 19, 2012

Sun and Shade - Woods (#7, 2011)

I'm gonna have to hurry to finish last year's Top 10 before this year's gets posted!

Woods's previous album was #6 of 2010, and they've already put out the next one - pretty good as well. Before the films last month, I had posted the Woods Story So Far history.

I don't think I'll discuss all 12 tracks from Sun and Shade here. Lots of good songs, but I think you'll get the idea without complete overkill.



"Pushing Onlys" from Sun and Shade (2011)

I thought this was the designated 'big hit,' but there's no official video? (Not a Woods specialty to be sure...) Catchy, jangly, sunny folk-rock - well, I like it plenty. They do throw in a twinge of weird, some sonic warble, but not enough to be disturbing... which can be enough.



"Any Other Day" from Sun and Shade (2011)

But the second song gets that video? Kinda odd stylistically though, seems to me.



"Out of the Eye" from Sun and Shade (2011)

Most of the tunes are shorter like those first couple, and then you get a couple of extended jams. Like the kraut-y, Neu!esque "Out of the Eye" (still available on the free APF5 mixtape) - and also an EspaƱol-language semi-'title' track: the spaghetti-western sprawl of "Sol y Sombra."



"To Have in the Home" from Sun and Shade (2011)

I'm just throwing out a couple more. I think I picked that one just based on the visual effort from the videographer.

No secret messages!



"Who Do I Think I Am?" from Sun and Shade (2011)

I do like that song especially - with the melody & rhythm & the really nice vibe. But who do I think I am anyway?

Sun and Shade

Genre - Folky Psych-Pop
Official - woodsist.com/
Myspace - myspace.com/woodsfamilyband
Location - Brooklyn, NYC

Review - Paste Magazine
Download - Amazon, iTunes
Purchase - Woods

No comments: