Saturday, May 12, 2012

Record Store Day 2012: The Return

I guess I forgot to post last year, but I did for RSD 2010. Nothing too original on deck at the moment, so I'll tell you what I got... mostly 7" singles.



"Do It!" featuring Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Bland, from Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends (2012)

Of course I had to get the new double-album of guest stars from The Flaming Lips (#1 of 1995, All-Time Discography). In order of collaboration: Ke$ha + Biz Markie, Bon Iver, Edward Sharpe + Magnetic Zeros, Prefuse 73, Tame Impala, Jim James (MMJ), Nick Cave, Lightning Bolt, Yoko, Neon Indian, Erykah Badu (doin' Flack!), Chris Martin (Coldplay), and before that... here's the VERY NSFW official video with New Fumes.



"Dark Star" [excerpt/jam] from Olympia Theatre, Paris, 05/04/1972

After a few stores and 4 days, I finally found copies of the Grateful Dead's (#1, 1972) 4,200-edition Dark Star, Paris '72 LP. Woohoo!! Looks to be just under 40 minutes of classic European "Dark Star." Rotterdam '72 is probably my favorite version (and supposedly the actual longest of all time), but I'll give this one a chance too.



"Watch Out Boy" from RSD 7" (2012)

And that's it for the full-lengths. I got the new psychedelic-orangish-yellow-vinyl single from The Black Angels (#3, 2006). Seems fairly mellow & poppy for them, but still full-'60s style(s). Here's the B-side.



"El Hombre" from RSD 7"

I bought this single from The Baseball Project mostly because of the nice 3-D tilt-action cover.



A-side about Pujols, B-side is "Harvey Haddix." Supergroup about baseball stuff, includes Scott MCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows), Steve Wynn (The Dream Syndicate), Peter Buck (R.E.M.), and Linda Pitmon (ZuZu's Petals).



"Inspiration Information" by Shuggie Otis, from Inspiration Information (1974)

From here on, it's mostly just re-releases on 7" - so plenty of info about all these people, if you don't already know...



"You Be Illin'" by Carolina Chocolate Drops, from RSD 7"

WB/Nonesuch original/cover RSD split-7" series.



"London Calling" by The Clash, from London Calling (1979)

2012 mix and instrumental B-side. Hey! I never did my Clash Discography post...

Not the greatest haul of all time, but pretty decent I guess.

No comments: