Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Better All The Time

Back in January, I was talking about Emeralds. A couple of things: (1) I wasn't "entirely sure yet," and (2) I had only got the What Happened cd (2009) at that point.

Then in May, I again revisited Emeralds - on the occasion of the 2010 cd release of their self-titled LP Emeralds (2009). I liked, and still do like, it better than the previous album.


Does It Look Like I'm Here?
And so now finally, we come to the newest one, a double-album: Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010). Best one yet! So great, there's even a YouTube playlist of the whole thing. And here's a few tracks for me to highlight now...



"Candy Shoppe" from Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010)

The opening track seems to be a big hit with the kids. I don't know if it's about some specific candy shoppe in Emeralds' hometown of Cleveland, OH. Or maybe a candy shoppe they visited on their tours of the world. Or maybe some kind of candy shoppe of the mind. Pretty sweet, though.



"Double Helix" from Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010)

This is my current theme song, when I'm a robot... A robot of DNA!!



"Genetic" [part 2] from Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010)

Massive ocean of synth layers, with deep currents and the occasional strong breeze, and a constantly rippling guitar. And like a huge sea voyage, it just keeps going and going...



"Summerdata" from Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010)

A slo-mo glitch meltdown, very much like a portion of the long-lost "Landlocked" (farewell, Lala). Although maybe faint on YouTube, the subtle bass pulses are very nice - as are the churchbell tones at the very ending.



"Now Do You See Me" from Does It Look Like I'm Here? (2010)

There's guitar in many corners of Emeralds, but rarely does it drive a whole song. But this is stately jam, with chaos enveloping a phased melody that kinda reminds me of Ween (a bit).


Those are some good songs, which I mainly picked due to having readymade videos of interest. There are more. O yeah, and the dearly-missed "Landlocked" from my original Lala free "purchases"? I downloaded in FLAC format from Boomkat... niiiice.

No comments: