Monday, January 9, 2012

My Favorite T-Shirt In College

A recent Flaming Lips pic tweet reminded me of My Favorite T-Shirt In College, and I was able to find a really nice image from here... I still have the shirt, completely riddled with holes, thinner than Kleenex.


Flaming Jimi Eye
[click for full-size]

As I recall, the orange sections were really more pink... and all of the colors were more flourescent, rather than just bright (although not glow-in-the-dark).



"One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning" by The Flaming Lips (live 1988)

So, yeah. I bought the shirt at the 4/28/1988 Austin show (at The Ritz), opening for Butthole Surfers. Second time I ever saw them, and second night in a row - after the 4/27 Houston show (at Numbers). They were so ridiculously loud back then!


Octopus blotter
Another one I wore a bunch was my Butthole Surfers shirt, based around the 1st image in this collection of LSD sheet art. Definitely got that one at a later show - possibly The Ensemble on 12/9? The octopus was screened in thick black ink over an orange field, with BUTTHOLE above and SURFERS below.



"Jimi" by Butthole Surfers (live 1988, London)

I liked to wear it to Grateful Dead shows in the late-'80s/early-'90s. It was a big hit!

And just in case you doubted nary a word of what I've told, I now produce evidence!


Flaming Lips
There it is!! Funny, I don't remember ever noticing the right edge being so distorted. My perception during this era might not have been entirely reliable...


BHS
As advertised??


Grateful Dead
Bonus pix: This was my usual go-to Dead shirt around the same time period - fairly generic, but it got the job done.


Star Laser Force
One day I will tell the stories of Star Laser Force.

1 comment:

Helswulf said...

Star!! What s great era!