Thursday, July 7, 2011

New & Used / Strange Bedfellows

On the way home from work yesterday, I picked up a couple of used CD's. And they couldn't be more different.


Arcade Dynamics
I originally associated Ducktails with what I'd sarcastically named the bunnygl!tch sub-genre, thus their inclusion in that post. I was first drawn in by the new album's cover - it's really good. Arty, but not what I would have expected from a lo-fi '80s pop fetishist. At some point I figured out that it was released by Woodsist, and that it's the solo project of the guitarist from Real Estate... Why not?



"Paisley Pattern Arcade Shift" from Bored Fortress split 7" (2010)

"Arcade Shift" is a song on Arcade Dynamics, but it's different than this one. Might as well start here, though... it's closer to the spirit of the album. I also recently got the Gnod/Robedoor split-7" from Non Not Fun's Bored Fortress series. (Will post soon!)



"Sunset Liner (for e. young)" from Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics (2011)

This is more of the kind of stuff that's on here. Kind of like Mark McGuire mixed with '60s vocal pop... or something?



"Little Window" [live] from Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics (2011)

Live!!


In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo...
And I got the 2nd album from Sweden's Abruptum. They were touched on very briefly in our Black Metal genre post, although clearly they lean more experimental than metal.



In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebrarum (1994)

1 track, 1 hour, 1 trip thru HELL!!

No comments: