Wednesday, January 12, 2011

10 Top-Notch 2010 Album Cover Art...

... not yet posted to the blog.

This isn't a Top 10. I just wanted to highlight some cover art, because I hadn't done that in awhile (purely for art's sake).


Survivalist Tales!
Survivalist Tales! - Holy Sons

Beats out Black Tar Prophecies, Vol. 4 because it's awesome! And I didn't know it had come out, and it hadn't been posted yet. Holy Sons is Grails drummer and video director, Emil Amos. Just discovered this in Temporary Residence Ltd.'s year-end lists...


Colored Mushroom and the Medicine Rocks
Colored Mushroom and the Medicine Rocks

I really like the Emeralds album cover - very chilly and spooky. But when I first saw this one, I knew I had to have it. Sweet nature photography, uncluttered by text or effects or whatsoever.


Kvelertak
Kvelertak - Kvelertak

John Dyer Baizley did a cover for a non-Georgia band - actually a Norwegian hardcore progressive Viking black metal band. I haven't heard them.


Surfing the Void
Surfing the Void - The Klaxons

If you can't put a monkey riding a dog on your cover, then at least put a cat in a spacesuit.


Cosmogramma
Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus

Edges out Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer for the circular minimalist cover of the year. Like this one very much, but pretty certain the music is not for me.


Making Up A Changing Mind EP
Spilling Over Every Side EP
Glowing in the Darkest Night
EP trilogy - Pretty Lights

Although their records are free to download, I still haven't grabbed any yet. From the same artist as the lesser New Age Outlaws, once covered in an early Cover Art post (for Prefuse 73's similarly sci-fi artwork). I really like the pulp paperback stylings!


The Courage of Others
The Courage of Others - Midlake

Had to get a Texas band in here, and this one's got it over School of Seven Bells. The washed-out colours, pastoral scene, and arched symmetry (plus cowled robe!) all give the feel of an old British folk scene record - which is apparently the idea.


Astro Coast
Astro Coast - Surfer Blood

Would have gone for Wilderness Heart in the disorienting shark-related design, but that was in the Top 50 Albums. I can't really defend liking this one, but there it is!

No comments: