Saturday, December 18, 2010

Top 10 Top Ten's From Elsewheres

Now that my year-end albums list is pretty much set, and I won't be buying any more until too late, I went ahead and looked at all the other places' round-ups. Right around this time last year, I did this before. And we have a bunch of the usual suspects / repeat offenders...

So here's the Top 10 "year-end lists from other internet sites" of 2010, ranked mostly based on their #1 picks - plus various other significant factors!

New Slaves #1!!
#1. Tiny Mix Tapes gets bonus points for democratic contributor-voting and turning out a crazily unexpected #1: New Slaves by Zs... What?! Wow.
"New Slaves" [live] from New Slaves (2010)


#2. FACT mag is always a contender. Forest Swords' Dagger Paths, discussed here recently, was on more lists (and higher up) than I expected - but FACT made it their #1 record. Bold statement.
"Rattling Cage" from Dagger Paths (2010)


#3. Drowned In Sound's Top 10 albums (and 11-50 and 51-75) all lead up to Does It Look Like I’m Here? from Emeralds. Inarguably valid choice, although you could argue otherwise... I'm a big fan, though.
"Candy Shoppe" from Does It Look Like I’m Here? (2010)


#4. Mainly for just this one list from Dusted Magazine, which selected Ufomammut's Eve - my #1 Unacquired Metal Album from 2010. That contributor's list also offers a downloadable 2010 mix, which I endorse. And as always, Dusted gave everyone a shot and ended up with a large number of lists. Good for them!
"III" from Eve (2010)


#5. The Quietus made a great list! But I cannot condone their #1 bid for Sisterworld from Liars - because I don't know what that is...
"Scarecrows on a Killer Slant" from Sisterworld (2010)


#6. Both Treble Zine and Paste Magazine chose This Is Happening by LCD Soundsystem. I kinda dug his tune "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House," and have heard there's more to it than that. But I've never explored further.
"I Can Change" from This Is Happening (2010)


#7. Pop Matters topped their official list (of 70!) with Janelle MonĂ¡e's The ArchAndroid, which was a surprise. The genre and other lists in their annual blow-out of many roll-ups are better, though.
"Tightrope" [feat. Big Boi] from The ArchAndroid (2010)


#8-#10. Bottoming out with Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are three separate lists: Pitchfork (of course), Prefix Mag, and The A.V. Club.


"POWER" from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)


Consider me unconvinced...

No comments: