Sunday, November 24, 2013

It Still Moves - My Morning Jacket (#5, 2003)

I'm sure I've told or mentioned this story a couple of times here, but this is probably my last opportunity. Other than going way way back in the past, it's been a long long time since I've looked to rock 'n' roll for my record-buying needs. And I'm talking beyond 2003, so even by then... Around that time, I read a review of this album somewhere - mostly likely a British music mag with the free comp CD, I'd guess Uncut over Mojo for MMJ. But I read both, so probably something like that.



"One Big Holiday" from It Still Moves (2003)

Soon after, I found myself in Corporate_Record_Store_005 either looking for something specific or just killing time. This was in Shepherd Plaza (pre-Cactus), so either a Sound Warehouse, a Wherehouse, or whatever struggling chain came in after that. (Music Whorehouse??) Then either I remembered the review, or I just happened to notice the album cover. But it was already half-price! Which was like $8 at the time, so I bought it.



"Mahgeeta" from It Still Moves (2003)

So yeah, they were traditional. My Morning Jacket at this point was still kinda-rootsy, American, southern rock 'n' roll. I'd probably peg their latest obvious, direct influence at maybe 1973. They would start to modernize gradually on their next album, Z (#5, 2005). But I still think this ol' timey stuff is what they did best.

Can't find it now, but someone else (not me) pointed out the similarities between MMJ's song "Dancefloors" and The Band's version of "Don't Do It." So maybe that's part of it.



"Golden" from It Still Moves (2003)

I mean, it's kinda difficult to discuss any post-1969 Americana artist without reference to The Band, right? (co-#12, 1969) But I think a couple of points are still valid & necessary... This style of music requires that you hold back occasionally - a lot of these songs are mid-tempo at best. The other point is that you've got to be able to both rock, and to mellow it down without completely laming out. The back part of the album settles into a cozy vibe, especially through the real nice trio of "Rollin' Back," "Just One Thing," and "Steam Engine."



"Run Thru (live)" from Okonokos (2006)

That one was particularly well-done when I caught them at Austin City Limits Festival, I'm thinking after Z. [Checking...] Nope, looks like it was the final song from 2004's ACL. And then, the last time I saw MMJ live (#14 Live, 2011), they only played the gnarly synth-breakdown jam, but not the whole song. Seemed kinda odd to me. Here's also the studio version, if you want.

So as a post-script: I figured people I knew who preferred more 'normal' (non-weirdo) rock music might really get into this great band/album that I'd discovered. At least more than Halve Maen, right? Nah, not really... Took another few years & different albums for some friends to dig them, but it wasn't really this one. And they never took over quite like Ween did, just one year later.

It Still Moves

Genre - Rock 'n' Roll
Official - mymorningjacket.com/
Myspace - myspace.com/mymorningjacket
Location - Louisville, KY

Review - Pop Matters
Download - Amazon, iTunes
Purchase - Amazon

No comments: